SHORT TERM MISSION TRIP
RETURN TO STANDING ROCK INDIAN RESERVATION
July 29 - August 5
Third Church is planning to return to the Standing Rock Indian Reservation July 29 – August 5, 2018. We plan to support our mission partners Native Young Life and Saint Luke’s Episcopal by assisting with a three-day Young Life camp for middle and high school students. The Camp will be at Camp Gabriel on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. Our roles will include:
- Assisting camp leaders with: worship, recreation, and small groups.
- Recreation includes crafts, games, fishing, hiking, kayaking and boating
- Meals: preparation, serving, and clean-up
- Camp Maintenance – Preparing the facilities for campers and cleaning up after camp,
- Fort Yates Pow-Wow – Native Young Life attends the Pow-Wow and usually provides a meal for participants.
- Encouraging camp leaders - This will be the third of three summer camps that they will be conducting.
BACKGROUND: Our relationship with the Standing Rock Community began in 2002 by joining Myrna McLaughlin and Least of These Ministries to help meet physical and spiritual needs of those living on the Reservation. We helped organize and build the 25/40 Health station, in Selfridge N.D. while staying Camp Gabriel. We began working with Father John Floberg to assist with operation and maintenance of the camp during our second trip and have concentrated on the camps during subsequent trips. Camp Gabriel is located forty miles south of Bismarck North Dakota on 14 acres of land that an American Indian (Red Hale) donated to St. Luke’s Episcopal. We plan to stay at the camp some of our team may serve as cabin chaperones for the campers. Rustic is a kind term for the accommodations.
PARTICIPATION: Anyone that is 18 years of age or older that loves the Lord, desires to serve, and enjoys being out of our suburban comfort zone. Students that are younger may participate and help with service activities if accompanied by a parent. Native Young Life guidelines require camp leaders and those assisting them to be 18 years of age or a High School graduate
COST: We expect the cost to be approximately $800.00 per person. Departure and return days, along with cost may change slightly depending on flight availability.
Please contact Jack Martin 804-398-8029 or Fred Whitten 804-357-1617 if you are interested.